Here is Part 2 of my Stroke series where I go over evaluation and treatment strategies for motor impairment including the upper extremity. I poured my heart into making this video for you, with hopes that you will not only feel more confident, but that you’ll feel inspired and empowered as you continue your journey to become an occupational therapy practitioner. So my friends, please watch this video and study with me, not for the single purpose of passing your exam, but for the greater purpose of becoming the therapist that you always dreamed of becoming- and one I know you’re capable of becoming. I am always rooting for you.
Certified Neuro Specialist
I had the pleasure and honor of becoming a Certified Neuro Specialist through Dr. Michael Ang, who is not only the program instructor for the Certified Neuro Specialist Institute, but also my former instructor at the University of Southern California. The CNS course was such a special experience that brought to life the meaning of what it means to be a therapist working with patients with stroke. So here’s a special shoutout to you, Dr. Michael Ang. Thank you for instilling deeper inspiration, knowledge and clinical skills to help me become the best therapist I can be.
Help Keep Content Free
As you may know, all OT Miri resources are created, produced and curated by me, in my spare time, in order to support those who are seeking to become occupational therapy practitioners. All of my resources are provided free of charge so that everyone can have access to the tools they need to succeed, regardless of ability to pay. However, it costs money, time and resources to produce the content and maintain the website. If you have enjoyed and benefited from my resources, please consider making a contribution. Your generosity will help ensure all future students have access to the support, resources and encouragement they need to succeed.
These are just a few of many stroke-related courses available through MedBridge that really helped me advance my knowledge and clinical skills. With my affiliate Promo Code “OTmiri” you can get your MedBridge subscription for $200/year, which is the best discount rate available to individual subscribers. If you’re not sure if MedBridge is right for you, check out My Top 5 Reasons for Choosing MedBridge.
- Part A: Functional Treatment Ideas and Strategies in Adult Hemiplegia by Jan Davis, MS, OTR/L
- Part B: Treatment Strategies in the Acute Care of Stroke Survivors by Jan Davis, MS, OTR/L
- Part C: Treatment Strategies in the Acute Care of Stroke Survivors by Jan Davis, MS, OTR/L
- StrokeHelp: Improving Function and Awareness by Jan Davis, MS, OTR/L
- StrokeHelp: Wheelchair Transfers and Standing Safely by Jan Davis, MS, OTR/L
- StrokeHelp: Preventing Shoulder Pain by Jan Davis, MS, OTR/L
- Evaluation and Treatment of Basic Visual Disorders by Diane Powers Dirette, PhD, OTL, FAOTA
- Evidence-Based Interventions for Severe Impairments in the Neurological Upper Extremity by Salvador Bondoc, OTD, OTR, BCPR, CHT, FAOTA
- Motor Rehabilitation Post-Stroke: Principles of Neuroplasticity and Motor Learning by Lorie Richards, PhD, OTR/L
- Wheelchair Seating Assessment: Positioning the Trunk by Michelle L. Lange, OTR/L, ABDA, ATP/SMS
This section includes affiliate links, which support the continued creation of free content and resources for our community.
If you are a student, follow these steps to get the discounted student rate: $100/year
- Sign up here using your .EDU email address
- Enter the Promo Code: “OTmiriStudent”
To get the student discount, you must register with a .EDU email address.
- American Heart Association
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- Gillen, G. (2008). Cognitive and perceptual rehabilitation: Optimizing function. St. Louis, MO: Mosby/Elsevier.
- Pedretti, Lorraine Williams, Pendleton, Heidi McHugh.Schultz-Krohn, Winifred., eds. Pedretti’s Occupational Therapy: Practice Skills For Physical Dysfunction. St. Louis, Mo. : Elsevier, 2013. Print.